Monday, January 25, 2010

Something(s) Beautiful

Until I logged on this morning, I had no idea how long it had been since I’d blogged. Halloween? Wow... so much has happened since then that was certainly blog-worthy, but lately I struggle to be quippy and light when many days I cannot shake off the lead boots of life-as-it-is-now. And who wants to read downer blog posts? I don’t want to write them, so I can’t imagine anyone wants to read them!
But this morning’s after-run cool-down playlist offered a burst of inspiration. The Killers “Smile Like You Mean It” was my anthem through the holidays, reminding me to try to find the sweet in the overwhelming bitter-sweet. This morning as I listened to the song again, I thought that maybe I could reenter the blogosphere with some of those sweet things. So, here is my list of some of the many beautiful things I was blessed to encounter since Halloween…
  • Fighting my way back after bronchitis to be a stronger, faster runner than I was before I got sick. The old me would have given up.
  • An Indian Summer day’s hike in the Cleveland Metroparks with very good friends
  • A visit with my dad’s sisters, who I don’t see nearly enough, and listening to the three siblings reminisce over a giant stack of old pictures
  • Drinking champagne in a limo as we rode downtown to see Wicked for my dear friend Jill's 40th birthday
  • The Christmas Eve services at church and being keenly aware of the love of that church family for my family
  • Having Jill’s husband, who is a pilot, so calmly arrange for P to fly home the weekend of O’s school play, when I-90 was closed. I completely lost it, but Doug was the calm in my storm.
  • Watching O in that play, so confident and comfortable, so happy on stage
  • My friend Sue's Split-Pea Soup, which is deliciously seasoned with love
  • My sister-in-law’s baby bump…. And my mom’s reaction to learning the gender of that bambino
  • Being the respite & refuge for my brother-in-law, his wife, and my sweet niece while they mourned the loss of Erika’s grandmother the week after Christmas

But nothing topped the beauty of my parents’ 40th wedding anniversary. My brother & I contacted as many friends & family as we could find, asking them to send anniversary greetings. It was a gift just to see the love pour in from near & far, past & present. But to be there with mom & dad on their anniversary while they opened the box-of-love that we had assembled, well, that was one of the most beautiful things ever.

No comments: